Essence Scandinavian Grey Felted Wool Rug
Styling your home doesn’t need to be complicated. Sometimes, simple is better! We're excited to introduce wool rugs as a popular and versatile option for home decor. Wool is a natural fibre that is soft, generally pretty durable, and hypoallergenic. With various styles, patterns, and colours to choose from, wool rugs can be customised to fit any home interior. Interior stylists and families love wool rugs, as they bring warmth, texture, and style to any room. They're perfect for adding a cozy touch to your living room, bedroom, dining room, or any other space needing extra comfort.
In this blog post, we'll cover everything you need to know about wool rugs, from the benefits of this natural fibre to the different types available. We'll also offer tips for caring for your wool rug to keep it looking its best. Plus, we'll showcase some of our favourite wool rugs to help you find the perfect statement piece for your home. So let's dive in and discover the wonders of wool rugs together!
Types of Wool Rugs
For those planning to purchase a wool rug, remember that wool is a naturally resilient fibre, although wool’s resistance to abrasion is not as high as that of nylon. It is more expensive than synthetic rugs, but as long as they are appropriately cared for, wool rugs can last for years.
There are four main types of wool rugs available:
- Cut-Pile Design
Darcy Diamond Beige Felted Wool Rug
Hand-knotted rugs are the product of skilled artisans who employ time-honoured methods of weaving each strand of wool into a sturdy, intricate foundation for the pile. Colour and gradient combinations are common in hand-knotted rug designs. Hand-tufted rugs are using the process of meticulously weaving strands of colourful wool into a canvas backing resulting in a plush, soft rug that is less expensive than hand-knotted. This type of wool rug is an elegant and sophisticated addition to any room. Yet after some time, you may easily pull out their threads.
In contrast to the other types, flatweave rugs aren't held together by a thick pile. Instead, their svelte proportions exude an air of refined elegance. Threads of varying lengths and widths are woven to create this rug. Despite having little pile, this rug is robust, thanks to the old techniques utilised by the weavers. Products made with a flatweave construction can be turned inside out to hide stains. The last type of rug features a blend of the cut-and-loop pile, which is versatile, stylish, and highly durable. Besides this and a wide range of colours to choose from, this rug is a perfect choice for any room and a wise investment.
Each type of wool rug has unique characteristics, making it essential to consider which type will best suit your home's decor and your budget. Nevertheless, these wool rugs are sure to create a statement in any room.
Exploring the Surprising Benefits of Wool Rugs
Wool rugs offer a range of benefits that make them an excellent investment for any home, and here are some of them:
- Wool rugs are a good long-term investment, but remember that your rug will suffer more abuse than anything else in the room unless you enclose it in red velvet ropes and prohibit everyone from walking on it. Be sure to choose the suitable rug material, colour, and pattern, as this will determine if it will hold up over time. With the proper care and maintenance, you will see that a handcrafted wool rug is something you can enjoy for decades. In fact, it has increased in value over the years!
- Wool is easy to care for and resistant to most stains. Because lanolin naturally coats the fibres, they are protected from dirt and stains.
- Wool rugs are flame-resistant as wool fibres can burn at higher temperatures than other materials. It does not melt when exposed to fire and is self-extinguishing once the ignition source is removed. Because of this, many places with stringent safety requirements require the use of wool fibre.
- Wool rugs are hypoallergenic and look clean, even when it isn't, making them the perfect choice for households with members who have allergic reactions. The wool fabric hides most dust and pollen, due to tiny pockets in its fibres, rather than allowing it to sit on the rug's surface. This can help improve indoor air quality and promote a healthier living environment. It also resists dust mites, mildew and bacteria growth and even absorbs many airborne contaminants. As a result, it doesn't need to be cleaned as often as other rug fabrics.
These benefits make wool rugs a smart and stylish choice for any home.
Essence Arabesque Beige Silver Wool Rug
Wool Rug Care Tips
While synthetic rugs require little to no upkeep, wool rugs are more delicate and demand more attention. To ensure your wool rug stays looking beautiful and feeling soft, we recommend following these simple care tips:
- Vacuum When Needed - Start by taking it outside and shaking out the dirt and debris before you vacuum the rug. Wool area rugs are best when cleaned using suction only. Remember that wool is a natural staple fibre and is prone to shedding. Avoid the harsh bristles of a rotating brush and beater bars, as they can suck up the rug's finer fibres while causing premature and unnecessary wear and tear. Move slowly and vacuum the rug in straight lines.
- Spot Cleaning - Blot up any spills immediately with a clean, white cloth. Avoid rubbing the stain. Use a mild detergent and warm water solution to clean the affected area gently. Let the rug dry completely.
- Professional Cleaning - Cleaning services that have experience with wool carpets are recommended for cleaning wool rugs as they have the tools and expertise to clean the rug safely and effectively. Have your wool rug professionally cleaned every 12-18 months to remove deep-set dirt and stains.
- Rotation - Rotating your wool rug is vital to prevent uneven wear and fading. Regularly rotate your rug 180 degrees to even out any foot traffic or sun exposure. This will help ensure your wool rug wears evenly and maintains its vibrant colours and pattern for years to come.
By following these tips, we’re sure you can maintain the appearance and extend the lifespan of your wool rug.
Choosing the Perfect Wool Rug for Your Home
Darcy Natural Off-White Felted Wool Rug
Wool rugs are a classic way to add the comfort and softness of a rug to your home. Inspired by nature and individuality, the premium quality wool is used to create bespoke pieces that are extremely warm, soft and long-lasting.
Our Essence Scandinavian Rugs are incredibly soft rugs woven with wool from New Zealand, offering a sophisticated and earthy aesthetic. With the perfect blend of softness and texture, this collection is ideal for any high-traffic area.
On the other hand, the Essence Arabesque Range boasts a geometric pattern traditionally hand-loomed by artisans and neutral tones that will suit almost any style. Add definition and warmth to minimalist spaces with this collection, available in grey, beige silver, and cream.
Last but not least of our favourites is the Darcy Diamond Collection. These rugs were inspired by natural elements in a neutral colour palette and hand-woven by artisans using 80% wool and 20% polyester. It has beautiful braided cross-weave details that will give your room enough texture to make it stand out. It also includes a backing to keep the rug in place.
What are you waiting for? Add a classic and beautiful wool rug as the perfect finishing touch to your room.